Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meet Abigail Myers!!


She's finally here! We had Abi March 4th at 2:15am. She weighed 7lbs 7oz, and was 17 1/2 inches long.
She came faster than we planned, but glad she's here... Gary and I were called March 3rd at 6:15 in the morning by the AF hospital telling us to come up so I could be induced. We got there and was shown to our room. I got my gown on and we were just chillin' in our room waiting for the nurse to come in to give me my IV. Well 45 minutes passed and we were still sitting there waiting. I was trying to be patient and just waited. Finally someone came in and said, "Oh, someone is in room 8..." They had totally forgotten about us and then another nurse came in and said, "I'm sorry, I have to ask you to get dressed and go home. We've had 4 women come in that are in labor and we need this room..." I thought she was kidding, but unfortunately she wasn't. We got dressed and left the hospital with a baby still in my belly. Definitely not what I planned on. Gary and I went to breakfast hoping they'd call us back, but they never did so we headed home. We sat around all day at the house. I was so bummed. Every time the phone rang I'd get excited and hope it was the hospital calling to tell us to come back. Well, finally at 5:00pm they called and told us it wasn't going to happen and that they'd hopefully get us in the next morning. A big storm came in that morning and apparently when that happens a lot of women go into labor because of the low pressure in the air. We had just a normal night with the kids. I wasn't having any contractions so I just hoped to get in the next morning. Well... I woke up at about 1:15am with pretty bad contractions. I had never just gone into labor (I was induced with Madi and Jackson)so I didn't really know what labor felt like. After a few minutes I woke Gary up. We called the hospital and told them that I was supposed to come in the next morning to be induced, but that I was having contractions and was going to come in. She said we could, but that if I wasn't in labor they wouldn't induce me. She told me to take a Tylenol and a bath to see if that helped. I really didn't want to get clear up there and be sent home so I told Gary to start a bath. We decided it would probably be a good idea to time my contractions. The first time we timed it my contraction was 2 minutes apart. We continued timing for a few minutes and we got down to 1 minute 30 seconds. Gary said, "You are NOT taking a bath, get in the car." Gary called his parents to come down and we left the kids and headed for the hospital. Gary got clear up there in about 10 minutes. We were put in a room, they checked me and I was already dilated to eight centimeters. Every time I had a contraction I for sure thought I was going to throw-up because of the pain and thankfully I didn't. They got my IV in and then the anesthesiologist finally came in (it was probably only like 5 minutes)and said I didn't have enough time for an epidural.... WHAT!!!???? He said he would give me a spinal block and that it should last about an hour, but that that should be plenty of time. I was surprised that I would have her that soon. He kept talking while I was having my contractions and all I could think was "stop talking and do SOMETHING!!!". He gave me a shot in the back and I started feeling a little something, but could still totally feel my contractions. He started walking towards the door and I said, "You're leaving? can't I have more?" NOPE... We started pushing and after three pushes we had a baby! She came at 2:15am, yes one hour after I woke up! Everything went so fast. Yay, it was over and we had our daughter there with us!! They cleaned her up and they left Gary and me in there with her for about 45 minutes. It was a wonderful 45 minutes to just be there with Gary and Abi. They took her to get cleaned up better and they took Gary and me to our room. The rest of the hospital stay was fabulous!! The nurses were so wonderful. I had room service every meal and felt like I was on vacation.
The next morning Gary's parents brought the kids up to meet their new sister. Madi said, "I love her so much already!". Jackson wouldn't look at her. Finally I convinced him to look. He wouldn't turn his head, just look at her through the corner of his eye, it was pretty funny. By the end of the visit he was kissing her and interacting with her. Madi just loved holding her. We came home Sunday morning and have had such a great day with the kids. Abi sleeps through ALL the noise and hasn't cried once. I'm crossing my fingers she will stay that way :)...
What a roller coaster ride We've been on the past couple days to get her here, but it was ALL worth it!! Thank you Gary's parents for coming down in the middle of the night to be with the kids and then watch them for us!! And thank you to my parents for taking the kids too! We are so thankful to have you guys and have your help! We love you little Abigail!

14 comments:

Karla said...

I loved reading this!

Hawks Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS - she is beautiful! What a crazy experience, but what a darling baby you have to show for it.

Kristen said...

What a memorable, amazing story! I'm glad everything went well. Hope you have a good night! Gracie was looking at the pictures and said, in her high pitched baby voice "she's soooo pretty!" and the boys all said that she's super cute! Great pictures! Take care and Call Me when u get a chance!

Juannaelmi said...

Oh my goodness!! I love it! I am also jealous that you had her so quickly! She is beautiful and I am so glad it all went quickly and that she is here! I also think your name for her is perfect! Congrats again!

Tara said...

Congratulations!!! So wonderful and she looks perfect! Just in time to match her up with Cortney's little guy...if he's tall enough for her. lol. I hope you continue to have a wonderful recovery and enjoy this as much as you can...teenage years are a commin', (which also means babysitter!). Hugs and kisses to all of you!

Emily P said...

Congratulations! Wow...what a stressful time! I would have been so frustrated if they had sent me home. I am glad that she got here safely though. She is beautiful!

Jamie said...

Congrats Jen and Gary! We are so happy for you guys. The baby is adorable...I love the pictures you took, too.

KayeLynne said...

Congratulations to all of you! What a fun birth story. Baby Abigail is just perfect. Let me know if you need anything.

Sarah said...

Wow what a labor experience. she is so cute. Enjoy every minute.

The Hood's said...

What an amazing story! I'm so glad you actually made it to the hospital to have her! She is beautiful. Congrats and good luck to all of you! :)

Ginny said...

I love delivery stories...and this one is a great one! So glad she is here safe and sound. Congrats!

Handi Andi said...

What a wild story! I am so glad you made it there. I was wondering what was up when I read on facebook that you were going in the next morning and then I saw you picking Madi up from school. I thought "Dang she must be super woman if she just had a baby this morning and she is already home!" Glad to know all is well, and I still think you are super woman for making it to an 8 without an epidural and not losing your mind, and then delivering her with only a spinal. You go girl. I'll have to sneek over before I pick the kids up from Sandra's one of these days and see her cuteness in person. Loved the pics

Erin G. said...

She is absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations! You are such a sweet family. I love Jackson's initial reaction to Abi. Ha! Glad to hear you are well.

Alisa said...

So so so so so stinking happy for you! Can't wait to meet her.