Sunday, July 29, 2012

Family Backpacking Trip to the Uintah's!

Last year Gary took Jackson and Madison on a backpacking trip with his Dad, his brother, and his brother's daughters.  The kids loved it and wanted to go again.  Gary set a date with Bryce and got it all planned.  I originally wasn't going to go.  I didn't Abigail would do very good over night in a tent.  At the last minute I decided to go.  We headed up to the trail head of Haystack lake.

The hike was pretty short and easy.  It only took us about 1/2 hour to hike up there.  Once we had found a good campsite Gary and Bryce started purifying some water and the rest of us tried to get camp set up.  We also went down to the lake to let the dogs swim.  Madi even went swimming too.  

After we were finished setting up camp we decided to go on a walk around the lake.  Everything was so green and lush up there!  Madison, Ashlee, Jackson, and Kayla enjoyed the lily pads and was able to get one out of the the lake.  Madi even found a flower from one of the lily pads, she was really excited about that.  Later on in the walk Aunt Lisha found a frog!!  Madi put it on her lily pad.  Abigail had finally fallen asleep in the backpack, but with all the trees we had to climb over she woke up and was not a happy camper.  She cried all the way back to camp.

We got back to camp and started dinner.  We couldn't have a campfire so Gary and Bryce brought their backpacking stoves.  We cooked the hot dogs over those.  The rest of the night we just relaxed and enjoyed each others company.  The kids built a fun little shelter, I am mad at myself for not getting a pictures.  When the sun went down we decided it was time for bed.  Before we went to bed we gave each child some glow sticks to play with in the dark while they were lying in bed.  Gary and Jackson slept in one tent and Madison, Abigail, and I slept in the other.  Madi and I were pretty tired and ready to go to sleep.  Well, apparently Abigail got all the rest she needed from her power nap she took while on our walk.  She didn't need to go to sleep yet.  She was rolling and scooting all over the place in the tent.  She kept standing up and falling on me thinking it was so funny.  She played with her glow sticks and looked at books too.  Madison had finally had it and went to Gary's tent around 11:00.  I was starting to think Abi was going to be up all night so I chewed up half a melatonin, took a little out of my mouth and put it into Abi's mouth.  After a few minutes she finally sat up, put her binkie in her mouth and fell sideways to bed.  Halleluiah!!!  She was sleeping!!  I heard Jackson wake up a couple times, but Madison and Abigail slept well once they were asleep.

The next morning Bryce, Gary, Jackson, and Madison woke up bright and early.  I stayed in bed until Abigail woke up.  When I got out of the tent with Abi I could hear Gary across the lake.  He had taken the kids on another walk.  While they were out I got my camera out to snap some pictures.  I love how quiet and peaceful the mtns are in the morning.  When they got back we got breakfast going.  We had pancakes.  Gary remembered he had some M&Ms so some of them put those in their pancakes.  

After breakfast we started breaking camp.  The kids continued building their shelter while we cleaned up.  Gary and Bryce made one trip back to the cars with some of our gear.  When they got back we decided to eat some lunch, cup-o-noodle...  

After lunch we relaxed a little more.  While we were sitting there Gary said, "here come some camp robbers!"...  Well I learned that camp robbers are birds that like to come in and eat what we had left behind.  We stated throwing crackers, cookies, dried apples, m&ms, and even fruit snacks out to them.  It was fun watching them for awhile.





We were just about cleaned up and I noticed Abigail was over by her blanket bent in half trying to lay down.  She didn't get much sleep the night before after falling asleep late and waking up early. We were about ready to leave when we heard some thunder.  We had already packed the tents away so we pulled out some ponchos we had brought.  We waited out the storm under some tarps.  It thought it was fun, but some of the kids didn't like the thunder.  It didn't look like it was going to clear up any time soon so we decided to put our packs on and quickly walk back to the cars.  It let up a little and right when we got in our cars and started driving the rain picked up again.
The temperatures were very nice while we were up there.  It was in the 50s when we left and when we got down out of the Uintah's it was in the 90s! I wanted to turn around and go back up.
Whenever we go to the Unitah's we always make a stop at Dick's Drive-Inn.  We were bummed when we walked in and their power was out...  We climbed back in the car and drove to Oakley and got some ice cream.  I got this cute picture of Madison, Ashlee, and Kayla.

We all had a fun time, but I think it will be awhile until I go on another camping trip with Abigail...



2 comments:

Emily P said...

You are my hero! Sounds like an incredible trip and one the kids won't ever forget. :)

Anonymous said...

What cute pictures. Looks like great memories were made. Love the picture of your family!

Blog Archive