Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bribery.... Is It Really Such A Bad Thing??? I Think Not!


This has been a great summer for us!! We've gotten a lot done and really enjoyed each others company. Well, during the summer we have managed to really mess up Madison's bedtime schedule. During school last year she was in bed by 8:30ish. She would get in bed and stay there and usually be asleep within minutes. This summer we have been a little too relaxed on the bedtime schedule and for awhile we were lucky if she was in bed by 9:30 or 10:00. The problem was that she would stay up and read or get out of bed two or three times and would not fall asleep until 10:30 or 11:00. With the fall coming and preschool waiting in the wings I thought we should try and get her back on a decent schedule. I decided that bribery would be our best bet. I went to the Country Loft, a local craft/school supply store and made this little chart for her. For the first couple weeks I am going tell her that if she stays in bed and goes to sleep she will get a star sticker for that day and after a week she will get to go pick out a treat. Gradually we will make it longer and longer before she gets a treat. We tried it out and for the last two nights in a row she has been in bed around 8:30!! She didn't get out of bed and I think last night she didn't stay up and read books, she went to sleep! So as of today, she has earned two stars. I took this picture before we started this little thing, that's why there aren't any stickers on it. I am so happy this little method of ours is working! Hopefully it will continue and come September 2nd, when preschool starts up again she will be back on her bedtime schedule!! Wish us luck!!

4 comments:

Lisha said...

Can I just say how jealous I am! I so wish we could find something like that to work on Kayla. Anyway High fives to you for coming up with such a great idea!

everyday katie said...

You are inspiration! What is it about summertime that makes us put our kids to bed later? I'm still ready for them to be in bed at 8:00. Parker has been doing the same thing but not getting up any later the next morning. I should start this before preschool begins at the end of the month.

Alicia said...

Maybe I need to try that. Coleman was still up at midnight last night! I've been dreading having to get him up early for school. It's gonna be tough! Cute chart and cute blog!

Tara said...

Charts WORK, they really do! I have used one for every frustrating habit I have wanted the kids to break. But keeping up a chart can be hard on busy parents, which is why I have completely slacked on it since we moved here. But you have inspired me, I am going to get back to it for Josh in Kindergarten this year, because they really do work, as long as mom is on top of it. :) GOOD JOB! (that's a virtual "chart sticker" for you!)

Blog Archive